Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Daily Devotional Thought--From the Psalms (and in response to the bombing in Boston)


Psalm 159
Deliver me from my enemies, O my God;
protect me from those who rise up against me;
deliver me from those who work evil,
and save me from bloodthirsty men.
For behold, they lie in wait for my life;
fierce men stir up strife against me.
For no transgression or sin of mine, O Lord,
for no fault of mine, they run and make ready.
Awake, come to meet me, and see!
You, Lord God of hosts, are God of Israel.
Rouse yourself to punish all the nations;
spare none of those who treacherously plot evil.
Each evening they come back,
howling like dogs
and prowling about the city.
There they are, bellowing with their mouths
with swords in their lips—
for “Who,” they think, “will hear us?”
But you, O Lord, laugh at them;
you hold all the nations in derision.
O my Strength, I will watch for you,
for you, O God, are my fortress.
My God in his steadfast love will meet me;
God will let me look in triumph on my enemies.
Kill them not, lest my people forget;
make them totter by your power and bring them down,
O Lord, our shield!
For the sin of their mouths, the words of their lips,
let them be trapped in their pride.
For the cursing and lies that they utter,
consume them in wrath;
consume them till they are no more,
that they may know that God rules over Jacob
to the ends of the earth.
Each evening they come back,
howling like dogs
and prowling about the city.
They wander about for food
and growl if they do not get their fill.
But I will sing of your strength;
I will sing aloud of your steadfast love in the morning.
For you have been to me a fortress
and a refuge in the day of my distress.
O my Strength, I will sing praises to you,
for you, O God, are my fortress,
the God who shows me steadfast love.
Glory be to the Father and to the Son
                and to the Holy Spirit;
as it was in the beginning,
                Is now, and will be forever. Amen.

Devotion
In the name of + Jesus.

Yesterday’s horrific events in Boston remind us that, in this life, sin and its deadly affects are always around us.  On this morning after, the news focuses on those who have perished, the many wounded, who have had suffering thrust upon them, the countless folks who are attending to the ill, those who are serving the families of the suffering, and the various law-enforcement departments that are working to bring justice to the guilty.  Those who perpetrate such acts intend to defeat their victims, to bring them to their knees.  But they cannot force to their knees, those who daily go to their knees willingly, as dear children, praying to their dear Father.  And so today, we call upon His name in the day of trouble, we pray, we praise, and we give thanks.

“When surrounded by enemies (or difficult circumstances), we turn to God in confidence and trust. Whatever He wills for us is best, even if we don’t understand it at the time. The world and all that is in it is passing away. Empires come and go. Only God and His promise of salvation in Jesus Christ stand firm, stand fast, and stand forever” (TLSB, p. 904).

David prayed the Psalm above when Saul had sent men to his house to kill him.  His enemies plotted his death, and attempted to carry it out.  David’s prayer is a fitting prayer for us as well, for in it, we come to grips with the reality of those enemies which attack us.  Even men seek to harm us.  Evil thoughts seek to terrorize us.  Satan would have us forget God’s promises, thereby robbing us of any comfort and hope.  And these enemies are relentless, not stopping until they have their way, never being satisfied until they see our demise.

But like David, we will be strengthened by the Holy Spirit, who reminds us:

But I will sing of your strength;
I will sing aloud of your steadfast love in the morning.
For you have been to me a fortress
and a refuge in the day of my distress.
O my Strength, I will sing praises to you,
for you, O God, are my fortress,
the God who shows me steadfast love.

In every trouble, like David, we call upon the name of the Lord.

In every trouble, we praise the LORD for working salvation, and for having His promises to cling to.  We praise Him for having defeated all our enemies whose end is destruction.  We praise Him, for He is our help in the day of trouble.  Though we do not understand, we praise Him, for even in the midst of what men intend for evil, for those who love God all things work together for good (Rom. 8:28).

And so, even in every trouble, we give thanks.  We give thanks for His promises.  We give thanks for those who die in the faith, for their eternal reward is certain.  We give thanks for those who help and serve, and who sacrifice of themselves for those who suffer and are in need.  We give thanks for those who were spared.

Even when tragedy strikes, our confidence is in Christ, for He is risen.  And so, today, with heavy hearts, let us call upon the name of the Lord.  Let us pray, praise, and give thanks, in the name of + Jesus.  Amen.

Prayer
O mighty Fortress, our trusty Shield and Weapon, deliver us from the snaps and snarls of the wicked. Trap them with Your Law and turn their hearts by Your Gospel. Let Your people know peace amid strife (TLSB, p. 904).

Almighty God, merciful Father, Your thoughts are not our thoughts, Your ways are not our ways. In Your wisdom You have permitted this disastrous bombing to befall us. We implore You, let not the hearts of Your people despair nor our faith fail us, but sustain and comfort us. Direct all efforts to attend the injured, console the bereaved, and protect the helpless. Bring hop and healing that we may find relief and restoration; through Jesus Christ, our Lord (LSB, p. 317, #292).

No comments: