Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Daily Devotional Thought--From the Psalms


Psalm 23 (The Psalm for Good Shepherd Sunday—this past Sunday)
1 A PSALM OF DAVID.
The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters.
3 He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD forever.

Devotion
In the name of + Jesus.

If the Lord is your shepherd, then you are His sheep.  And if the Lord is your shepherd, and you are His sheep, then you need not want, for your shepherd is the LORD.   The LORD is the one from whom come all good gifts.  And whether those gifts have to do with the support and needs of the body, or are the gifts which supply your every spiritual need, the LORD is giving those gifts, freely, to you.  For He is your Shepherd; and you are His sheep.

In the LORD, you can sleep in peace.  Luther’s Evening Prayer reminds us of this; at its conclusion, he writes, “Then go to sleep at once and in good cheer.”  No matter what you did, or didn’t do, that day, when you sleep in Christ, you sleep in the green pastures of peace, for He has died for your sin, and been raised to give you life.  That’s how He restores your soul.  He leads you in paths of righteousness, paths of holiness, paths that lead you to hear the Good News of the Gospel.

And this is why, even though we walk through the valley of the shadow of death, we fear no evil.  After all the LORD is our Shepherd.  He is with us.  He is our Shepherd: assuring us of forgiveness; renewing us in His Word, and strengthening us with the very body and blood he gave for us, His sheep—to eat and to drink.

If the LORD is your shepherd, and you are His sheep, then goodness and mercy will follow you, because Jesus will be with you.

Christ is risen!  He is risen indeed.  Alleluia!

Prayer
Good Shepherd, open our eyes to see Your blessing. Open our ears to hear your voice. Open our hearts that we may love you. Amen (TLSB, p. 866).

Concordia Lutheran Church
Jackson, TN 
(731-668-0757)

No comments: