Monday, June 26, 2006

What's in a name anyway?

After aproximately three years of reading the blogs of others, I was recently motivated to join the world of "internet musings," where the numerous minds of many ruminate. While spending more time as of late reading some of these ruminations, I have been both dismayed by dreadful declarations, and encouraged by excellent efforts to expose truth. Indeed, there is much variety in this never-ending world of the blog--from the family update, to the scholarly review.

A few months ago, I was translating Matthew 26 for a sermon I was scheduled to preach. I was taken back when I came across my name right there in the greek text. Now, while I was growing up there was a plaque hanging on a wall at home for each member of the family, which displayed the meaning of our names. One plaque read Gregory: Watchful One. Aside from knowing that I was named after both of my grandfathers (Gregory being my paternal grandfather, and Ruben, my maternal), and joking about Gregory the Great (Pope from 590-604), I had no other knwowledge as to the history of my given name.

When Jesus told Peter, James, and John to "Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation," he actually told them to "Gregoreo." I never knew I had a biblical name. Actually, my name isn't even a proper noun, it's a verb--how about that!

1 Corinthians 16:13 reads, "Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong." This is part of the exhortation Paul gives to the congregatin at Corinth in his letter. It is also the benchmark for the posts and discussion on this blog.

Undoubtedly, I will post about my family, my faith, the Church, baseball, and many other topics. There will be serious posts, and commical posts. There will also be posts which will have seemed commical at the time they were composed. It is my prayer that the thoughts posted, and the words used to express them, would not, however, bring glory to my name, but to the only one whose name deserves worship and praise-Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Until that day, when Jesus comes to judge the living and the dead, I will simply keep watch, and attempt to post something worthwhile.

Enjoy, and please feel free to post your comments.



4 comments:

Jamie said...

Welcome to the Wide World of Blogging! So glad to have you on board! Love ya!

Casey said...

Way to go Greg! Now, when are you going to make your scrapbooking header like Jamie's? You have some stiff competition to work against! Hope you are doing well!
-Casey :0)

nate said...

dude,

welcome aboard. i was on a blogging sabatical for a while, now i'm back. i look forward to reading your posts, you're a good writer.

see you in a few weeks. (isn't it weird to say that?) hopefully i'll have enough time to find my jumpshot before then.

n8

Tom King said...

Looks good. With twins coming, that adds a few more possibilities to the mix of thousands of names to choose from. May this avenue be a great way for you to be a watchman for others as well.